|Face Value||5 Dollars|
Canada’s government district was constructed in Ottawa on a then strategically important limestone hill.
In the middle of the 19th century the English Queen Victoria declared the city of Ottawa, former Bytown, as Canada’s capital city. As a result, the government district was built on the site of a former military base – todays Parliament Hill. In 1876, seventeen years after the cut of the spade, work was completed. The most impressive building is the Centre Block with its 92 meter high Peace Tower. Ottawa’s landmark attracts approximately three million visitors annually.